The droplet was created with WordPress on Ubuntu 14.04 image.
I’ve had a WordPress site (with probably zero traffic) running for a while now. Suddenly I noticed it reported a database connection error, fair enough. So I checked:
“service mysql status”
That returned stop/waiting, fair enough. Easy to get back running. It then crashed again eventually, and so forth.
I read up and noticed comments on creating a swap, which I then did exactly according to this guide.
“free -m” shows:
total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 490 485 4 12 0 20 -/+ buffers/cache: 464 25 Swap: 4095 897 3198
The result of adding swap? My droplet is sometimes super slow while accessing it via SSH, i.e. typing into it lags. Never had this before, so I assume it is related. Also, the website doesn’t respond any longer. Ever. Sometimes the browser gets past connecting, but never past waiting.
What went wrong? Which logs should I check?
Surely a WordPress without almost no traffic shouldn’t have issues on even the smallest droplet. I’ve previously had a few sites running on the 512MB perfectly fine.
This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.
You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.
Join our DigitalOcean community of over a million developers for free! Get help and share knowledge in Q&A, subscribe to topics of interest, and get courses and tools that will help you grow as a developer and scale your project or business.
Click below to sign up and get $200 of credit to try our products over 60 days!