Unable to clone GitHub repos in GitLab
I’ve installed GitLab via One-Click install on a droplet. It’s working fine for repos I’ve created within GitLab, but I can’t seem to clone repos from GitHub.
Here’s the general architecture:
- GitLab 7 installed on its own droplet using One-Click install
- URI of the server is gitlab.mydomain.com
- mydomain.com is on a separate droplet
Here’s the background of the issue:
- Attempted to clone public repo with https clone uri; no dice
- Attempted to clone public repo with https fork uri (clone_uri/fork); no dice
- Forked public repo into my personal GitHub account and attempted authenticated clone in GitLab with the https clone uri; no dice
- In case you’re curious, the public repo is https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer
When trying to clone my GitHub fork, I used the URI syntax of https://username:firstname.lastname@example.org/path/to/repo, and for all other attempts I used the standard clone URI. In all instances GitLab generated the error “Import failed. Retry?”
Prior to using this One-Click installed GitLab droplet I had an old test droplet I set up myself with Ubuntu 14.04 and GitLab 7, and, IIRC, I was able to clone projects from GitHub with no issue.
I’m not familiar with how the One-Click install config’d everything. Any ideas of error logs I can look at?
Based on Googling I think it could either be
- nginx config issue
- SSH key issue with GitHub
- A physical limitation of my brain
Thanks in advance!
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×