Unable to clone GitHub repos in GitLab
I've installed GitLab via One-Click install on a droplet. It's working fine for repos I've created within GitLab, but I can't seem to clone repos from GitHub.
Here's the general architecture:
- GitLab 7 installed on its own droplet using One-Click install
- URI of the server is gitlab.mydomain.com
- mydomain.com is on a separate droplet
Here's the background of the issue:
- Attempted to clone public repo with https clone uri; no dice
- Attempted to clone public repo with https fork uri (clone_uri/fork); no dice
- Forked public repo into my personal GitHub account and attempted authenticated clone in GitLab with the https clone uri; no dice
- In case you're curious, the public repo is https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer
When trying to clone my GitHub fork, I used the URI syntax of https://username:email@example.com/path/to/repo, and for all other attempts I used the standard clone URI. In all instances GitLab generated the error "Import failed. Retry?"
Prior to using this One-Click installed GitLab droplet I had an old test droplet I set up myself with Ubuntu 14.04 and GitLab 7, and, IIRC, I was able to clone projects from GitHub with no issue.
I'm not familiar with how the One-Click install config'd everything. Any ideas of error logs I can look at?
Based on Googling I think it could either be
- nginx config issue
- SSH key issue with GitHub
- A physical limitation of my brain
Thanks in advance!