Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Using SFTP(FileZilla) with new user gets permission denied error
I have LEMP stack setup on Ubuntu and installed WordPress.
I followed tutorial to create new user beside
root and been using for setting up the server. Now I’m trying to upload some files through SFTP using FileZilla and keep getting permission denied error.
My current permission is set to
drwxr-xr-x 5 www-data www-data 4096 Dec 24 00:47 /var/www/html
- Make sure that your /var/www directory is owned by www-data:www-data. to do that, execute
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/wwwon your terminal.
- Make sure that your user is part of the www-data:www-data group. Run
sudo usermod -a -G www-data username.
But still getting the permission error.
I know my new user can write with
sudo command in terminal but on FileZilla it does not use
sudo command and gives permission denied error.
root account will solve the issue but I want to know secure way to do this with new user.
How do I make new user to be able to upload files via SFTP? Is it possible? It not what is the others ways to do this?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×