Virtual hosts not serving php files in Ubuntu 14.04 LAMP droplet.

  • Posted November 15, 2014
  • PHP

I was trying to install prestashop with the help of following tutorial

Everything went fine and I was able to view to store on <my IP address>/<foldername> where the folder name was in /var/www .

Now I wanted to configure my domain name to the droplet IP and hence I then changed my name servers to digital ocean nameservers and added a domain to the droplet. Then I added the ‘@’ Record and a CNAME record for the www

Next step was to change the virtual host file. So I created a backup of 000-default.conf file Then changed it which is as follows

<VirtualHost *:80>

DocumentRoot /var/www/2dayhiker


I saved the file as in /etc/apache2/sites-available/

Then I ran

a2dissite 000-default.conf
sudo service apache2 restart

Everything was fine until now but now when I open in my browser

  • It changes the addressbar to <my-ip>/
  • It shows error that the index.php is not found.

What can be the problem for this type of error. Is there any permission problem because I have tried giving all the permissions (777) and it s still not serving.

I also ran the following command

chown -R root:www-data /var/www/2dayhiker

just to test but no success?


Submit an answer
You can type!ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

It sounds like prestashop is configured with your old URL so when a request is received it is redirected to what prestashop thinks should be the default web address.

You can edit this in your database. Look for the table that ends with _shop_url and edit the line in there to match the URL you wish to use. Once this is done the redirect should stop causing problems.