What is the best practice approach to set up a Wordpress site with a Discourse Community subdirectory, from scratch?
I'm starting from scratch and have read dozens of tutorials and am trying to figure out the best approach for a novice to build a WP site with Discourse on the same droplet.... With WP as the main domain, and Discourse as a subdirectory (not a subdomain, if possible - just like the community is set up here on DO with a /community). I also want to make sure i'm not missing any critical components like security or thinking about scaling this site, into the future.
Here's some things I want to make sure I get right... out of the gate:
- I want to be sure that I'm adding the proper layer of security
- I want to make sure I am setting up the DNS properly for these two diff tools
- I want to make sure my SSL certs are in place for both tools (or maybe I only need for the main domain ¯_(ツ)_/¯ )
- I've read a bit about caching and I want to make sure that's set up to optimize the UX
From what I've looked up, here's the process I'm looking at following:
- Create a new Droplet
- Install and Deploy a LEMP stack - should I use this 55 second method? https://www.digitalocean.com/products/one-click-apps/lemp/
- Then I was thinking that I should set up 2 Server blocks (or Virtual Hosts) as outlined here in the "How To Set Up Nginx Server Blocks (Virtual Hosts) on Ubuntu 16.04" guide: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-nginx-server-blocks-virtual-hosts-on-ubuntu-16-04
- Then install Wordpress on one server block?
- Then install Discourse on another server block?
- Then what?
My trouble is that there is sooooo much great info (tutorials) in these forums/documentation but I don't know which documentation to follow, in which order... b/c I couldn't figure out the best order of operations here.
Would I do well to install and run this stuff through a WHM/cPanel?