Wordpress + FTP can download files but cannot upload
I've set up my droplet (Ubuntu 16.04.04 x64 + LEMP) and installed Wordpress following the DigitalOcean tutorials but I have an issue with modifying files via FTP/SFTP.
I use SublimeText, but I've also tested it with Filezilla and both seem to behave the same way, so it looks like a server setting.
I have a sudo user called 'sam' for admin
I have a normal user who I chown the files to called 'www-john'
I log in using my sudo user (SSH key is loaded into Pageant) and I can log connect to the server successfully.
I can browse pretty the whole directory and I can download any file.
However, I cannot seem to upload.
When I do, I get an error message
- SublimeText = .. failure (Permission denied)
- Filezilla = .. open for write: permission denied
What I've tried so far
- Setting the chown ownership of /var/www/mydomain.com to sam
- Setting the chown ownership of /var/www/mydomain.com to www-john
- Setting the chown ownership of /var/www/mydomain.com to www-data
- Setting the Wordpress permissions to 755 for the folders and 644 for the files
Any advice on how I can download and upload via FTP please?