Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Wordpress installation problem, no permissions to write (Ubuntu / NGINX).
Here’s my setup:
- Fresh Ubuntu 14.04 64x installation.
- Fresh NGINX / MYSQL / PHP5-FPM / PHPMYADMIN installation.
- Installed POSTFIX and VSFTPD.
- umask has been changed to 002.
- the owner/group of the wordpress directory is myusername:myusername.
- myusername is also in the www-data group.
- All directories inside of wordpress are 775 with files being 664.
Regardless of the above, wordpress still cannot write config. This is a more underlining permisssion issue apparently, but I can’t figure out why. My solution are to chown -R the wordpress folder www-data:www-data and just go from there, however for security and work flow reasons that’s highly undesirable.
php is also running on www-data, and when I change the unix name/group to my username, any and all files can also write, but from what I read this is also highly undesirable.
I’d like a solution that doesn’t require me to do either of those. Any help would be appreciated.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×