A few weeks ago I have created a new Wordpress one-click install droplet and connected it to my domain.
In the last few days I am getting an “Error establishing database connection” error.
I logged into the console via SSH, launched
htop and noticed that my CPU is running at 100%, the www-data is taking about 40-60% of CPU constantly, MySQL is killing the RAM (maxing it out) and my website is not even loading.
I tried rebooting the server, I tried restarting the apache2, tried restarting mysql, but no luck. When I stop mysql, the website becomes responsive again (although CPU still peaks at 100%).
I tried disabling my Wordpress to the minimum (no plugins, just the original theme) but nothing works.
I also thought maybe I’m getting an XMLC attack, so I tried DO’s tutorial on how to block that (all options) but nothing actually works.
Also, it might be important to say that my Wordpress installation is very minimal and barely has content in it (no one worked on it yet).
Specs (Droplet): 1 GB Memory / 25 GB Disk / FRA1 - Ubuntu WordPress on 18.04.1. PHP 7.2.17 MySQL 5.7.26
Screenshots (htop): https://imgur.com/a/JCdhjO3
Thank you very much!
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.