Question

All E-mails directed to Hotmail from any mail account get rejected

Hey guys,

I’m having a VPS running on Ubuntu 14.04, IP: 188.166.34.38 and for some reason any E-mail that is sent to a hotmail account (tested with both an existing as a just newly created one) is not being received. Any other E-mail account (i.e. Gmail) has no problem.

As far as I would say everything is set up fine, but we can simply say apparently it is not.

My VPS FQDN is iscs.nl which is my main (business) domain. But on that same server, other clients of mine are hosted. One of those (Testing with this one and my business domain) is verboonhoveniers.nl.

I’ve set up dynamic DNS (as much as possible, excluding PTR), so that the mail DNS gets mail.<domain>.<tld>. Or in exact cases, mail.iscs.nl or mail.verboonhoveniers.nl. However of course: The main domain of the VPS remains iscs.nl as this cannot be set up dynamic.

Sending a test E-mail and posting the log of that E-mail /etc/log/mail.log below

Mar 20 15:05:06 iscs postfix/smtpd[1786]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
Mar 20 15:05:06 iscs postfix/smtpd[1786]: BDF67120D70: client=localhost[127.0.0.1], sasl_method=LOGIN, sasl_username=sander@iscs.nl
Mar 20 15:05:06 iscs postfix/cleanup[1790]: BDF67120D70: message-id=<861f19cd486c73bdfed75839152fcb17@iscs.nl>
Mar 20 15:05:06 iscs postfix/qmgr[1038]: BDF67120D70: from=<sander@iscs.nl>, size=1015, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Mar 20 15:05:06 iscs postfix/smtpd[1786]: disconnect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
Mar 20 15:05:08 iscs postfix/smtp[1791]: BDF67120D70: to=<vandenberg_lisanne_94@live.nl>, relay=mx1.hotmail.com[207.46.8.199]:25, delay=1.3, delays=0.04/0.02/0.45/0.82, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250  <861f19cd486c73bdfed75839152fcb17@iscs.nl> Queued mail for delivery)
Mar 20 15:05:08 iscs postfix/qmgr[1038]: BDF67120D70: removed

I’m seeing “:25” on that line. I’m pretty sure I’m using port 587 instead of 25 for sending E-mails, because of an somehow unsolvable error… Couldn’t be the issue, right? Since It sends to Gmail correctly.

Besides seeing a lot of ‘relay access denied’ in the log itself (elsewhere) I really haven’t got a clue what could be the issue.

Hopefully this issue could be solved soon, since I’m launching there website soon (promised today…), but there are a few contact forms that should be working. So while Hotmail accounts aren’t ‘accessible’, the site cannot be launched…

Any help is appreciated much!

I’m offering a donation for answer solving this issue.

Show comments

Submit an answer

This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.

You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!

Sign In or Sign Up to Answer

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Want to learn more? Join the DigitalOcean Community!

Join our DigitalOcean community of over a million developers for free! Get help and share knowledge in Q&A, subscribe to topics of interest, and get courses and tools that will help you grow as a developer and scale your project or business.

Hey Arnasio,

I didn’t took the effort and patience to set all the records. Especially since I should set the SPF and OPENDKIM records for EVERY domain I’ve got (right…?). I moved my inbox to ZoHo, a mail inbox provider; 5GB per mailbox and great spam protection, IMAP support, etc. Just create a new account for every domain, which is much less of a hassle.

For sending domains however, I moved my SMTP services to Mandrill (From MailChimp). It reports weekly how many mails have been sent and how many mails have failed. Been using it for over a few months now and none of my mails have been lost in space or even ended up in the SPAM box. For this, all you need to set your SMTP server to smtp.mandrillapp.com in your mail client and you’re done. :)

So my advice: Quit an own mail server and move your business to professional, free services :) Much better now! :)

Hi have the exact same problem. I’m able to send email to all servers except hotmail. The mail logs tell me that the email is properly sent:

Jul 17 11:51:14 woloweb postfix/submission/smtpd[1620]: connect from 203.Red-83-37-117.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net[83.37.117.203] Jul 17 11:51:17 woloweb postfix/submission/smtpd[1620]: 6B1DB60D62: client=203.Red-83-37-117.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net[83.37.117.203], sasl_method=PLAIN, sasl_username=xxxx@xxxxxxx.com Jul 17 11:51:17 woloweb postfix/cleanup[1622]: 6B1DB60D62: message-id=0DC4D815-B50B-447C-90C6-6F870CBF2B1F@xxxxxxxx.com Jul 17 11:51:17 woloweb opendkim[667]: 6B1DB60D62: DKIM-Signature field added (s=mail, d=xxxxxxxx.com) Jul 17 11:51:17 woloweb postfix/qmgr[1276]: 6B1DB60D62: from=xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com, size=598, nrcpt=1 (queue active) Jul 17 11:51:18 woloweb postfix/submission/smtpd[1625]: connect from 130.Red-88-12-148.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net[88.12.148.130] Jul 17 11:51:19 woloweb postfix/smtp[1624]: 6B1DB60D62: to=<yyyyyyy@live.com>, relay=mx3.hotmail.com[65.54.188.126]:25, delay=1.8, delays=0.36/0.01/0.49/0.98, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 0DC4D815-B50B-447C-90C6-6F870CBF2B1F@xxxxxx.com Queued mail for delivery) Jul 17 11:51:19 woloweb postfix/qmgr[1276]: 6B1DB60D62: removed

But the email never reaches the user. I have properly set the SPF and OpenDKIM records, and everything seems to be fine. I think you should really address this issue.

This comment has been deleted