I have some problem sending mail from my LAMP installation. The server is used to host different websites. Its a ubuntu 13.04 droplet.
1. I have installed the program sendmail, and didnt do any kind of configuration on that. Using the standard config.
2. I have setup MX record for my DNS inside digital ocean control panel as mail.citynetwork.se. with priority 10
3. When sending a mail by php. I get the mail to gmail but sometimes it goes to spam. In hotmail and my DNS mail client the mail doesnt come in at all....
4. I looked at the raw mail from gmail and it outputs something like this:
spf=neutral (google.com: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of firstname.lastname@example.org) email@example.com
my_server_user - Is the user that runs my php script. Should that really be visible here?
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - Is my ip number
localhost.localdomain - shouldnt that be the url of where the php script is running. mysite.com?
5. Further googling i found this page http://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip to check my ip number if its blacklisted. And it was listed in the CBL. With the respond: "This IP address is HELO'ing as "localhost.localdomain".
6. My /etc/hosts file looks like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain Akuma
What configurations should I do to make it work? My droplet is named akuma.com
I have no idea how to solve this. I have tried google for days, been trying solve this problem to long with no luck...
Hope someone can help me on this... I'm completely lost....
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart.
If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.