Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
I need help migrating my wordpress server
Some time back, I set up my wordpress server on an Ubuntu 19.10 droplet. Since support for 19.10 has been dropped, I need to migrate my installation to a new VPS. I have created a new droplet, installed wordpress on it, and backed up the database on the old VPS.
My challenges are as follows:
- How do I transfer my wp files over to the new server. I have read up about rsync, and scp, however, I am stuck when it comes to authenticating between the two servers. I currently use one SSH key to remote into both these servers. Is it possible to have multiple SSH keys and how do I generate them.
- Do I restore the database after the file transfer or before?
I am very new to all this, and had set up my wordpress website a long time back. I am however limited now as I cannot improve the functionality of my website without upgrading my server.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×