Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Pros and Cons of Multiple Sites on One Droplet vs. on Multiple Droplets
Please excuse any redundancy here, as I am well aware that there have been numerous posts/questions about the issue of hosting multiple sites on one droplet, as opposed to hosting those sites on more than one droplet. However, none of the posts I found quite answered my questions. Also, please note that I’m not so technically inclined (am using ServerPilot to manage my current droplet), so these questions might read as a bit ignorant. But anyway, a couple of questions:
If I host all of my sites on one droplet (let’s assume in all cases that the droplet(s) in question are/is resized/upgraded appropriately), would there be much difference in performance as compared to if those sites were being hosted on multiple droplets?
Is there any increased security risk if I have all of my sites on one droplet, barring the fact that if that single droplet were to go down, all of my sites would go with it?
Essentially I’m wondering if there is any significant difference between a single, appropriately sized droplet, and multiple droplets.
Some details that might be relevant:
- All of my sites are Wordpress sites, and are public.
- I’m using GSuite to route(?)/deliver(?)/not sure how to put it e-mails for each domain. Not sure if this puts extra load on the server.
- In total, eventually, I’ll likely have 5 or 6 websites.
Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×