Ubuntu Advantage subscription on Droplets?

Posted April 16, 2021 237 views
Ubuntu 16.04

Hi there!

Two of our Droplets are currently still running on Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS, for which support ends this month, as we all know.

Since the projects running in these Droplets are scheduled to be abandoned in a couple of weeks to a few months tops anyway, the effort and risk for an in-situ release upgrade to Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS is not deemed worth it, nor is a fresh installation.

We would therefore like to purchase an 1-year Ubuntu Advantage subscription from Canonical. Our question: is this technically possible (and does the DigitalOcean license permit it)?

What kind of subscription would we need? Canonical offers these options:

  • Servers
  • AWS instances
  • Azure instances
  • Other VMs

We tend to ‘Other VMs’ — are we right?

Thanks in advance for your support or any useful hints/references!

Best regards,

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Submit an Answer
1 answer

Hi @rjkoester,

As long as this subscript needs only access to your Droplet there shouldn’t be any issues with it.

What I mean is that you already have ROOT access to your droplet and you can do whatever you want and need with it. Having said that, however, if this service requires access to the Node your droplet is on, that would not be possible.

In regards to hints, references, usually, when Support ends for a product it doesn’t mean it will stop working outright. It just means no new patches will be released for it.

In other words, if let’s say a vulnerability appears, it won’t be fixed by Ubuntu. Having said that, this isn’t something that is a 100% certain, that a vulnerability would be found, it’s just an example. So, what I’m trying to say is, if the project is too big you might want to look at the service you mentioned however if it’s something small to medium sized and it will be closed in a few months it might not be such of a problem.

If you decide to get the service, I do think ‘Other VMs’ is the option for you as well but this would be better discussed with the vendor.