Hi I updated FreeBSD on a droplet (11.3 -> 12.1) and after rebooting my droplet become unavailable because of missed network config. In the /etc/rc.conf I found the following (in the Digital Ocean dynamic section):
... defaultrouter="" ifconfig_vtnet0="inet netmask " ...
After fixing the gateway and IP/mask with actual values - everything works well. At least until next reboot. In the boot log (dmesg -a) I found the following:
... DigitalOcean: current hostID **adbd6c77-xxx...** DigitalOcean: expected hostID **d050c92d-yyy...** DigitalOcean: resizing the disk... vtbd0 recovering is not needed vtbd0p3 resized growfs: cannot find special device for /dev/gpt/rootfs DigitalOcean: no need to resize rootfs DigitalOcean: mount configdrive could not determine starting sector, using very first session DigitalOcean: applying droplet configuration DigitalOcean: reading meta-data eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found DigitalOcean: hostname is set in /etc/rc.conf, skipping setting hostname eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found DigitalOcean: adding public IPv4 configuration eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found DigitalOcean: adding anchor ipv4 configuration eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found DigitalOcean: adding private IPv4 configration eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found eval: /usr/local/bin/jq: not found DigitalOcean: adding IPv6 configuration DigitalOcean: finished droplet configuration DigitalOcean: re-starting networking lo0: link state changed to UP ifconfig: 'netmask' requires argument ifconfig: 'prefixlen' requires argument vtnet0: link state changed to UP ifconfig: alias: bad value ...
So I suppose the reason is in broken hostID - the DO VM-host cannot set proper network config in /etc/rc.conf for droplet because of incorrect hostID. What should I do to fix this?
This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.
You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.
Click below to sign up and get $200 of credit to try our products over 60 days!
Hi there @Selin,
I think that the problem is that the
jqcommand is missing and this is why you are getting the
You need to install the
jqcommand. On FreeBSD you could do that with:
For any other operating systems you can take a look at the official documentation here:
For more on how the
jqcommand works you can take a look at this tutorial here on how to work with jq.
Hope that this helps! Regards, Bobby