Letsencrypt Shows Expired, Renewal Fails, Litespeed Wordpress Droplet

Posted March 4, 2020 4.2k views
Ubuntu 18.04

My domain shows an expired cert even though Certbot says renewal is not needed. I tried a dry run renewal and got the following error. I’m not sure what to do. This is on DigitalOcean having used the Litespeed Wordpress Droplet.

Attempting to renew cert ( from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/ produced an unexpected error: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:malformed :: The request message was malformed :: Method not allowed. Skipping.
All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
  /etc/letsencrypt/live/ (failure)
edited by alexdo
1 comment

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Submit an Answer
2 answers

Hello, @internetjason

It seems like your SSL Certificate has expired. Could you please post the versions of your installed Certbot packages? In particular python3-acme.

dpkg-query -l | grep certbot

If it is not at 0.31.0-2, perhaps try to forcefully upgrade it:

sudo apt update && apt install --only-upgrade python3-acme

And then try to renew the certificate again and execute the –dry-run as well.

Let me know how it goes.


  • I updated it and the dry run was successful. I forced a renewal, but the site still shows expired when trying to visit it.

    • Hello, @internetjason

      I can confirm that your SSL Certificate has been successfully renewed and that you site is loading fine via https as well.

      If you’re still experiencing the issue, please clear your browser’s cache and also test using alternative browser.


I had a similar, maybe not related, issue recently with our litespeed server. Went in to perform a renewal and it wasn’t needed. However, on my browser it was telling me the connection wasn’t secure and the cert had an older date.

This was resolved when I performed a graceful restart on the litespeed panel. This has happened before. Not sure if there is some kind of cache issue.