Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Load Balancer WIldcard but with one subdomain going to a different droplet
Right now I’m using an nginx VPS to terminate SSL (wildcard and naked domain), but to forward one specific subdomain to a different server. It works fine.
I’m wondering though if I can leverage DO’s load balancers for this instead of managing it myself.
I have a group of servers for my main app, which responds to a lot of different subdomains (like a thousand or so, one for each customer). I.e. a.example.com, b.example.com, etc.
I have a second group of servers running a different application which needs to respond to one specific subdomain (legacy.example.com).
I get how to configure the DO load balancers to handle #1 or #2 in a vacuum, but I can’t find a way to do both.
To summarize, what I need to do is:
- SSL Terminate *.example.com (via letsencrypt wildcard managed by the LB).
- Proxy just legacy.example.com to Droplet B.
- Proxy everything else *.example.com to Droplet A
So is there a way to write custom rules for the LB to handle this? Would having 2 LBs handle this? Or do I just stick with my current nginx VPS setup?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×