phpmyadmin suddently gives http error 500


I have 3 Droplets all with ubuntu 18.04, Php 7.2.24, phpmyadmin ver. 4.6.6. Until yesterday phpmyadmin worked fine, but now it gives me HTTP Error 500. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with the servers - (not that i know of). Has anyone experienced the same?.

I have no problem using heidisql

Is there a safe solution to fix the problem. One of the servers is in production, and vulnerale to downtime.

Show comments

Submit an answer

This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.

You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!

Sign In or Sign Up to Answer

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Accepted Answer


After many hours i finally found what was wrong.

In /etc/phpmyadmin/ last line there was a “;” missing

$cfg[‘TempDir’] = ‘/usr/share/phpmyadmin/tmp’; <-- ;

Want to learn more? Join the DigitalOcean Community!

Join our DigitalOcean community of over a million developers for free! Get help and share knowledge in Q&A, subscribe to topics of interest, and get courses and tools that will help you grow as a developer and scale your project or business.

Can anyone tell why is this so that the phpMyAdmin server working perfectly fine yesterday suddenly misses a semicolon in the code? Would be great to know the reason.

Hello there! I am totally new in this world but everything can be done if you are able to search in the web.

I followed the tutorial given here in DO “How To Install phpMyAdmin From Source on Debian 10”, my mistake was to copy the code


First I got an error that xml extension was needed, so I installed it. #sudo apt install php-sml

then I restarted with: #sudo systemctl reload apache2

Then I got the error 500 described in this topic, so I found when I edited the file that the three dots (after " IN THIS FOR COOKE AUTH! */ " were copied too. I deleted them and worked right away.

I wish could help others

Kind regards to all!

and happy coding

Thanks for you answer @alexdo , but there is nothing to see in the error.log . I checked the access log and can see I try to run /phpmyadmin.