What are the recommended DNS records for a web server and MQTT?
Not sure which DNS records I need to create to achieve the following goals. Wildcards? @? CNAMEs? A records? MX? It’s not clear how I should proceed. Please assist.
- I own three domains and want all records in all 3 pointing to the same places. Eventually the domains will show different web content but for today they should be the same.
- I will be standing up two droplets in a hot-cold configuration with a floating IP, manually controlled. Failover amounts to booting the second droplet and switching the floater.
- I will be running a simple https Wordpress website (LAMP) on each droplet, resolvable by both www.domain and domain (no www.)
- I will be running a MQTT broker on each droplet. The hostname the client is expecting for these is mqtt.SmartBird.io.
- Current hostnames for the droplets are mqtt01.SmartBird.io and mqtt02.SmartBird.io. (Maybe I should have asked before committing to that naming scheme. Second one is not yet created, and I can easily rebuild the first.)
- Mail is to be handled by Zoho
What records should I create, pointing to what?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×