So, today unattended-upgraded asked me for a reboot. No big deal I thought, and rebooted.
After rebooting the droplet it can no longer connect to the internet, although i can connect to it from the internet. (e.g. via SSH or HTTP)
Here is what I tried so far (I’m going to obfuscate the last octet of my IP addresses):
$ ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 3e:0a:12:4f:9d:64 inet addr:46.101.39.xx Bcast:46.101.63.yy Mask:255.255.192.0 inet6 addr: fe80::3c0a:12ff:fe4f:9d64/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:7765 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:12573 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:856215 (856.2 KB) TX bytes:4933667 (4.9 MB) eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr aa:61:fa:a4:81:77 inet addr:169.254.72.zz Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0 inet6 addr: fe80::759e:acbc:907d:ef91/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:148 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:46798 (46.7 KB) lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1 RX packets:3091 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:3091 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 RX bytes:257445 (257.4 KB) TX bytes:257445 (257.4 KB) $ route -n Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 0.0.0.0 188.8.131.52 0.0.0.0 UG 202 0 0 eth0 10.16.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 184.108.40.206 0.0.0.0 255.255.192.0 U 202 0 0 eth0 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 203 0 0 eth1 $ ping -c3 220.127.116.11 PING 18.104.22.168 (22.214.171.124) 56(84) bytes of data. --- 126.96.36.199 ping statistics --- 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2015ms $ ping -c3 188.8.131.52 PING 184.108.40.206 (220.127.116.11) 56(84) bytes of data. --- 18.104.22.168 ping statistics --- 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2015ms
And here are a few observations:
eth1interface is. It’s not in
/etc/network/interfaces, and I can’t remember having seen it before (but then I never had the need to do network debugging on this droplet before).
Unknown interface eth1) though using
ifconfig down eth1works (and doesn’t make any difference).
tail -F /var/log/syslogwhile doing pings doesn’t show anything being logged (logging is enabled for ufw).
I’m getting desparate here. Does anyone have any suggestions?
This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.
You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.
Click below to sign up and get $200 of credit to try our products over 60 days!
Enter your email to get $200 in credit for your first 60 days with DigitalOcean.
To make sure the firewall isn’t the cause, can you run:
Then try to connect again. If it so happens that
ufwwas the actual cause, then it’s most likely some sort of misconfiguration that we can easily resolve by flushing the current rules and then setting new rules up.
To do that, we’d first run:
Then setup our new rules (as that just flushed all the old).
With the basic incoming/outgoing rules set, we now need to define the ports we will allow connection on. In this example, I’ll use 22 (SSH), 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS).
You can add any other ports that you need to the list.
Finally, we’ll re-enable
ufwand confirm that we want to enable it.
I did a reboot and same thing happening. Can’t access any outbound traffic.
After dist-upgrading, I did a reboot, and can’t do ANYTHING anymore. Incoming traffic works, and websites on my droplet are working fine, however, I can’t git clone, do apt get.
I’ve followed the steps in this thread, reset my iptables, reset ufw, yet, nothing worked so far.
What kinda update did DO ship to us?
No problem, glad I was able to somewhat help a bit, though the final resolution was all you :-).
One thing to note, for future reference, is that snapshots are full-state backups. This means they take a snapshot of the state of the machine as it is when you run the action. When you restore a backup, it will restore state as it was when the snapshot was taken, which is why restoring a snapshot will not work when an issue like this arises.
Think of a snapshot as an image (such as an ISO). It creates an image of the entire machine, so when it comes to networking, that’ll come along with it. One of the IP’s may change (the main) if it’s restored to a Droplet with a different IP, but any other networking that may be in place will still remain.
For that very reason, I normally rely on on-server backups, block storage (to transfer the backups to), and other means of backup. In some cases, it’s simply better to start from scratch. It can be a pain, but that’s one reason I’ve started creating bash scripts to automate these things a long time ago.